OUR COMMUNITIES

Galt Historic Railway Park

The Galt Historic Railway Park operated by the Great Canadian Plains Railway Society, collects, preserves, restores, exhibits and interprets artifacts which represent the history and social impact of the "steam" & "coal" eras in southern Alberta with emphasis on Galt Railway.


The pride of the Railway Park is the restored 1890 International Train Station Depot that sat half in North West Territories (Alberta) and Montana at Coutts/Sweetgrass from 1890 to 1916.  The Train Station was then split and the Canadian half was used up until the late 1980s when CPR closed it.  The Great Canadian Plains Railway Society saved the Train Station from demolition and relocated it north of Stirling, Alberta in 2000.


Also at the Railway Park is the former Medicine Hat locomotive turntable, a 1940s wooden stock car, a 1940s wooden caboose, and four passenger coaches ranging in age from 1918 to 1953.  These passenger coaches are currently being restored.  As well speeder rides are offered on special event days (as noted on our webpage).  We have washrooms, a gift shop, and a picnic area on site for visitors to use.


Located 25 minutes south of Lethbridge, Alberta on Highway 4. At the Stirling exit, turn off Highway 4, and follow the Train Station signs to #65032 Range Road 19-4C.


Getting Here

Get Directions

Contact Details

#65032 Range Road 19-4C
County of Warner, Alberta, T0K 2E0

Phone: (403) 756-2220
Email: gcprs@telus.net
Website: Visit

Featured Event

Featured Tour

Featured Offer